#WIPpet Wednesday - Of The Bauble - #amwriting

This week, I've been working on two WIPs: Reunions and Of The Bauble. I'd written the opening to Of The Bauble back in 2014, but I ran out of time to work on it, but I found some - inspired by Bec from Bike Book Reviews' call for Christmas MM romances, although...this isn't quite an MM romance. It IS a romance, and it does have a bisexual male main character (young adult), but...well, I'll leave it at that for now or there won't be any surprises later!

What is WIPpet Wednesday?

WIPpet Wednesday is a blog hop where authors share from their current works in progress - expertly organised/hosted by Emily Witt - and the excerpt has to relate to the date in some way. For links to other fabulous authors' WIPpets, visit: http://www.inlinkz.com/wpview.php?id=355404

Wednesday 12th October, 2016 (it still is somewhere...)
12x10+20+16=156 words

I hopped over to read A.M. Leibowitz's WIPpet post for this week, which is themed on 'coming out' in celebration of National Coming Out Day (11th October), and I thought...what a great idea! (Thanks, A.M.)

Of The Bauble is a festive short story. It begins with nineteen-year-old Kieran O'Sullivan taking a trip up to the attic to fetch the Christmas decorations and making an interesting discovery. This is the start of the scene after Kieran's adventure in the attic.

Here's the WIPpet:
She was a bit funny about some things, my mum. Like, for instance when she asked if Michelle Perkins was my girlfriend, and I told her I thought maybe I liked boys. She was cool with that. And later, when I told her I couldn't decide whether I liked boys or girls, she said, "You don't have to choose, sweetheart. You can like both."

So she was awesome with the big stuff on the one hand; on the other, she could be rigidly traditional about what I saw as the little things that didn't matter, like always wearing clean pyjamas, never putting ketchup on a Sunday roast, and eating fish on Good Friday, even though we weren't religious in any way at all. Then there were those traditional ‘just the family' occasions when the three of us spent time together, and friends were not welcome...like decorating the Christmas tree. Which was what we were doing tonight.

Thanks for reading!
Deb x

Comments

  1. Aw, I like his mom's responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for the mention. :)

    I love this snippet and the peek into Kieran's family life. Also, his mum sounds a bit like me--at least, according to my kids. They have said this very thing to me about being good with big stuff and hung up on tiny things, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I did snaffle your idea.

      I think I'm a bit that way, too, although what my two mean by 'little things' are not always that little. "Chill your beans!" (or words to that effect) is a thing I hear far too often from my youngest.

      Delete
  3. I'm not so bad at the little things. It's the bad puns, TnT jokes, and gratuitous Hamilton quotes that tend to craze the kids at my house. =)

    I love his mom's response. It would totally be mine, too. I've always been clear that the "who" doesn't matter nearly as much to me as that they're happy and mutually respectful.

    I really want to know what Kieran found up there in the attic, and how it plays into everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratuitous Hamilton quotes? LOL. Hamilton isn't quite as big a thing around here. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Thank you for reading. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie,
    Your opening in these first two paragraphs are excellent. I like the way you introduced Kieran and his mother. It pulled me in. Excellent writing.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

Reunions - Josh and George: Stating the Obvious #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQ