#WIPpet Wednesday - Tabula Rasa (Civil) #amwriting #lgbtqia



WIPpet numbers for 30th August, 2017:

30-8=22 short paragraphs (dialogue)
from Tabula Rasa


WIPpet Context:
Another snippet from Tabula Rasa (Gray Fisher #2).

This novel follows on from The WAG and The Scoundrel, featuring two former undercover police officers, Gray Fisher and Rob Simpson-Stone. Their investigations relate to white-collar crimes (fraud, embezzlement, etc.), and there are also romantic relationship story arcs (however, not between Gray—who is gay, and Rob—who is straight).

This snippet follows on from the previous snippets, moving on to Chapter Two, which is from Gray’s perspective.

* * * * *
“Do you want me to come with you?” Will yawned the question.

Gray put down the iron and flipped to the next section of shirt, briefly glancing at Will’s face onscreen. “You, in a room full of police officers?” Gray picked up the iron again.

“I’ve done it before.”

“Have you?”

“Hmm…it was a courtroom. But I was quite civil, I assure you.”

Gray looked up again and had to laugh. Will’s grin glowed white in his stubble-darkened, mud-streaked face. He looked anything but civil. He was also very obviously knackered.

“You should go shower before you nod off,” Gray advised.

“I’m all right yet. Tie’s picking up food on his way home. Which means hummus again.”

“There’s nothing wrong with hummus.”

“Every now and then, but we’ve had it every night this week.”

“You know what you could do? It’s a bit radical.” Gray checked his shirt to make sure he’d pressed all of it, switched off the iron and tugged his t-shirt over his head.

“Get the train to your place and wait for you to come home from your party?” Will’s tone was decidedly sultry.

Gray emerged from inside his t-shirt and covered the camera with his hand.

“Rotter.”

Laughing, Gray successfully got his shirt most of the way on with his hand still covering the camera, only moving it when he had to in order to button his shirt.

Will scowled. “I was enjoying the view.”

“I’m sure you were. But I need to go or I’ll be late.”

“Yeah, OK. What were you gonna suggest?”

“Suggest…oh. That you go shopping yourself?”

“Think I’ll put up with hummus. I’ll leave you to it. Don’t forget to enjoy yourself.”

“Forget in the next half an hour? Unlikely. I’ll speak to you tomorrow, probably.”

“OK. Later.” Will ended the call, leaving Gray free to finish getting dressed and ruminate over turning down Will’s offer.
* * * * *
What is WIPpet Wednesday?

WIPpet Wednesday is a blog hop where authors share from their current works in progress - expertly organised/hosted by Emily Wrayburn - and the excerpt has to relate to the date in some way. For links to other fabulous authors' WIPpets, visit: http://www.inlinkz.com/wpview.php?id=355404


Thanks for reading
Deb x

Comments

  1. Well, I *was* going to make a comment about wanting more Rob, LOL. But actually, I'll stick with how much I love this. They're so easy and natural with each other here. It's too early in the morning to come up with a better word, but I like the realness, as though I've actually walked in on them conversing.

    I had to laugh about the hummus because yeah, being veg has its drawbacks when you live with a picky eater (or someone too lazy to do his own shopping, haha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all these comments and forgot about them (one of those weeks...)

      I wasn't sure how Gray and Will would be in this novel until I started writing - it makes a change to have them getting along so well!

      Delete
  2. I love the easy banter here. It's natural, which makes it enjoyable to read. Daily hummus, though, ick. It's for rare occasions, for a treat, IMO, not for regular sustenance. Go to the store, Will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stayed at my mum's a while back - dogsitting - and she kept calling me to remind me to eat the hummus in her fridge before it went out of date. I love the stuff, but every day?

      Thanks for reading - glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  3. "I was enjoying the view." 8snort* Oh, I loved this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this casual conversation between Gray and Will. There seems to be chemistry between them and it makes me wonder if they are just friends or something more :)

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting - that what they are is ambiguous. I think that's a good thing. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

Reunions - Josh and George: Stating the Obvious #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQ