#WIPpet Wednesday - Not My Coach #amwriting #BeBoldForChange #lgbtqia


WIPpet numbers for 8th March, 2017:
No numbers, because I checked the count for my WIPpet snippet, and this number magic happened:


WIPpet Context:
It’s International Women’s Day, so I thought a WIPpet featuring a female character would be most appropriate. This is one of my three (it was only two this morning) current works in progress, tentatively titled Not My Coach. It’s a stand-alone story, featuring Charlie Davenport (a minor character elsewhere in the HBTC universe). The cover is a placeholder, probably…

She appears mostly in Two By Two (Season Six) and Those Jeffries Boys (character special), as well as a couple of chapters in Reunions (Season Seven - out in April). I was reading Beginnings (free ebook)—the first prequel—this morning, in which Charlie is still in a pram.

A few years have lapsed since; in this snippet, Charlie is thirty-five.

* * * * *
“Get warmed up, Charlie. Nish is coming off.”

She was out of her tracksuit in seconds and up on her feet, jogging on the spot, stretching her hamstrings, the left still tight from her injury, but she was so done with sitting out, and it’d loosen up soon enough, if Nish actually made it off the pitch before the final whistle. It was taking her forever.

“Coach, she needs help.”

He glanced to the pitch first-aiders, but they weren’t looking his way. “She’s nearly here now.”

Nish was barely halfway, although that was plenty close enough for Charlie to see the pain on her face, symmetrical dark brows pinched together, nose wrinkled and teeth bared.

Charlie stepped closer, toes on the touchline, ready for the tag, waiting, waiting… Nish stumbled, cried out.

“Coach!” Charlie pleaded, but he waved her concern aside, his attention on the action in the penalty box. They’d played on; still Nish was getting no closer. To hell with the red card, Charlie couldn’t stand by and watch her suffer. Cupping her hands around her mouth, she drew breath to shout—

“Charlie, it’s ten past six.”

“Ah…shoot.”
* * * * *
What is WIPpet Wednesday?

WIPpet Wednesday is a blog hop where authors share from their current works in progress - expertly organised/hosted by Emily Witt - and the excerpt has to relate to the date in some way. For links to other fabulous authors' WIPpets, visit: http://www.inlinkz.com/wpview.php?id=355404


Thanks for reading
Deb x

Comments

  1. *bounce bounce bounce* Oh, I am so excited to see this! Looks like it's going to be good. :) I like the placeholder cover, LOL.

    Is she dreaming or remembering something here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would it surprise you if I say I don't know yet? LOL.

      Just need the time to write the thing(s) now... :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh you! That ending... damn, damn, damn... how could you leave it at THAT ending. Evil! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pulled me straight inside Charlies's body - and then you yanked me out with the feeling that I had somehow overslept!

    Brava! (And I thinkk you'll find the time!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You pulled me straight inside Charlie's skin, then yanked me back out like I overslept or something! Brava!

    I'm guessing she's going to make sure you find the time to write it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention how cool that number magic is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. I love it when something like that happens. It makes me go "Ooooh...what can it mean?"

      I'm glad the overslept feeling worked. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

Reunions - Josh and George: Stating the Obvious #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQ