#WIPpet Wednesday - The WAG and The Scoundrel (snippet 3) #amwriting

WIPpet Wednesday is a blog hop where authors share from their current works in progress - expertly organised/hosted by Emily Witt - and the excerpt has to relate to the date in some way. For links to other fabulous authors' WIPpets, visit: http://www.inlinkz.com/wpview.php?id=355404

So, it's the 3rd August: 3x8=24 sentences of my work in progress, The WAG and The Scoundrel, which is a white-collar crime mystery (ish) / romance (ish) (LGBTQ). It's the first book in the Gray Fisher Series, which is a spinoff of Hiding Behind The Couch. It's scheduled for an October release. :o

There are three main characters in The WAG and The Scoundrel. So far, the WIPpets have focused on Gray and Will. The third character is police officer Rob Simpson-Stone - a previous colleague of Gray's. In the scene below, Rob has not long been in bed when his phone rings.

Here's the WIPpet:
"Hello, who's this?"

"My name's Naomi. Are you PC Simpson-Stone?"

"Naomi Tanner?"

"That's right."

"Yeah, this is Rob Simpson-Stone. How can I help you, Mrs. Tanner?"

"It's about Aaron. He's in danger. Could we talk face-to-face?"

"Is he in immediate danger?"

"He's in hiding. He thought he'd be safe, but..."

Rob threw the covers back and sat up. "Where are you, Naomi?"

"Drury Court. Number thirty-two."

That was the address Aaron had given to Rob two weeks ago - his mother's place, therefore, Naomi's mother-in-law's. It seemed like an odd setup. There again, Rob didn't suppose all marriages ended in acrimony.

"OK. I'll be with you in thirty minutes." He ended the call and spent a few seconds staring at the screen. So it had begun: the antisocial hours, the late-night calls.

Thanks for reading!
Deb x

Comments

  1. In my experience, there are zero good phone calls that happen during sleep hours (except perhaps a baby on the way). Obviously this fits the pattern. I am very curious why she's at her mother-in-law's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought myself when I typed it. ;) Actually, for once, I did know why. It's always nice when the characters let me in on the plot.

    As for those nighttime phone calls... The only thing that's worse is the call that comes at a time that's acceptable but still too early to be anything but bad. Or it turns out to be fine: "No, no, it's totally OK that you called at 7:01 and scared the s**t out of me. I wasn't panicking at all!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely hope he takes someone with him and not go there alone.
    Nice snippet with tension being built up slowly.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told him he should take someone, but will he listen? Thanks, Patricia. :)

      Delete
  4. Definitely intrigued as to what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I... have bad feelings about this. Though, not knowing exactly how Aaron and Naomi fit in this, I'm not sure how yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either, yet. ;) There are so many not-quite-finished scenes in this WIP.

      Delete
  6. The last line...that really got me. Might be because I'm reading this at 2:45 AM, which apparently most of the rest of the world sees as an antisocial hour, but feels like evening to me...

    I don't know what's going on here, but I want to, so you've done your job! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I know what you mean about antisocial hours. I go to bed late - not quite 2:45 a.m. late - but it doesn't feel antisocial online because of time differences. I think I'd still be miffed with a one a.m. phone call, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

Reunions - Josh and George: Stating the Obvious #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQ