#WIPpet Wednesday - Reunions (Shaunna and Andy - Pillow Talk continued) #amwriting

WIPpet numbers for 25th January, 2017:
((25*20)/17)-1=28 (short) paragraphs from Reunions

The current word count is 192,000! Forget what I said about being finished in 200k. Ain’t happenin’!

This scene follows on from last week’s WIPpet.

WIPpet Context:
Shaunna and Andy are an established couple with twin six-month-old daughters. It’s bedtime, and they’re talking to pass the time whilst Shaunna expresses breastmilk (she has something on her mind). Other characters mentioned in the snippet (Sean, Sophie, Josh and George) are some of their close friends; Josh is a psychotherapist. For readers of the series, this give a bit of a teaser of (some of) what’s in store in Season Seven. If you don’t want to know, look away now!

* * * * *
“Hmm.” There wasn’t a whole lot going on in their lives, but talking would stop her thinking and fretting. “Did I tell you about Sean and Sophie?”

Andy frowned. “Dunno.”

“Sophie’s going to London to do her PhD.”

“Ah. So that’s what’s up with him.”

“In what sense?” Shaunna asked.

“At footy. He’s a bit…”

“Moody?”

“Yeah. Short-tempered. It’s not like him.”

“He’ll be taking his frustrations out on the game.”

“They’ve not split up?”

“It’s…well, promise you won’t mock.”

“Me? That’s a bit uncalled for.”

“It’s not, Andy, because I know what you’re like about this kind of thing.”

“What kind of thing? He can’t get it up or something?”

“Exactly.”

“Poor bloke.”

“Yeah,” Shaunna agreed, surprised by Andy’s reaction. She’d expected him to go all out on the macho bragging. “It got me thinking about what I want to do with my psychology stuff.”

“Yeah?”

“I think I’d like to become a sex therapist.”

Andy nodded. When he said nothing further, Shaunna glanced down at him. His expression was a mix of bemusement and disbelief.

“Go on,” she said.

“I… What the hell is…” He cleared his throat. “Is it what it sounds like?”

“Well, Josh offers it, if that answers your question.”

“Not really.”

“Do you think George would be OK with Josh doing what you think a sex therapist does?”

“I dunno. He might be. If it’s for professional purposes.”

The picture formed in her head and Shaunna fell into a giggling fit that rendered her incapable of speech for long enough to finish expressing. She handed over the pump and the measly half-full bottle, which Andy took downstairs. When he returned, Shaunna had put her nightshirt on again but waited until he was back in bed before she lay down. Once she was comfortable, Andy switched off the light and cuddled up behind her.

“F-Y-I,” she said, “sex therapy is like marriage guidance and involves no sex—or not for the therapist, anyway. It’s talking through sex problems with the couple, or sometimes just one person on their own.”

“You’d be awesome,” Andy murmured.
* * * * *
What is WIPpet Wednesday?

WIPpet Wednesday is a blog hop where authors share from their current works in progress - expertly organised/hosted by Emily Witt - and the excerpt has to relate to the date in some way. For links to other fabulous authors' WIPpets, visit: http://www.inlinkz.com/wpview.php?id=355404


Thanks for reading
Deb x

Comments

  1. Oh. my. god. Hahahaha! I just laughed so hard I almost fell off the couch. "If it's for professional purposes." Um...no...just...wow. But thanks for putting *that* image in my head.

    Now that I've calmed down, poor Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Josh is missing a whole new opportunity there. :D

      Delete
    2. I don't even have a proper response to that, LOL. I read a book ages ago where that's actually the MC's job. He's very professional and kind of detached, and he sort of studies the psychology of his clients. It was...interesting.

      Delete
    3. Yep, see, Josh could totally do the professional and detached. ROFL.

      Delete
  2. Haha, this made me laugh a lot, too. :D I like these sweet little one-on-one scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. If I could get away with it, the entire book would be made of these. Well, it kind of is. :)

      Delete
  3. "If it's for professional purposes" *snort* Good snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fallon. Somehow I think Josh wouldn't find it quite so funny as we do. :D

      Delete
  4. I really liked that scene, Debbie. It's sweet, suggests a lot of backstory, and ends on such a happy note

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

Reunions - Josh and George: Stating the Obvious #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQ