The Making Of Us - Carpe Diem #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQIA

Brief explanation:
Another snippet from The Making Of Us. You can read the others here.

The Making Of Us is the fourth book in the Checking Him Out series, but it’s a stand-alone story about friendship, love and romance—LGBTQIA, with the emphasis on the B, Q and I.

The main characters are Jesse and Leigh, who first appeared in Taking Him On (Book Two), which is Noah and Matty’s story.

The Making Of Us is first-person, told from Jesse’s perspective.

I was a bit stumped for a snippet today, and in the end I went with 12 short paragraphs (rather than 6 sentences—a double rainbow? ;) ). Jesse and Leigh are at the ‘tell our friends’ stage.

Here’s the snippet:
We were still holding hands when Matty arrived twenty minutes later and stopped a few feet away, his mouth and eyes wide open in a ‘Matty shock-horror’ face. He pointed at our joined hands. “Wh-whe-when did this happen?”

I turned to Leigh. “I thought you’d told him.”

“Nope. I was waiting for you.”

“Really?”

“I wouldn’t do that, Leigh,” Noah said. “You’ll be waiting forever.”

I laughed incredulously. “You have gotta be kidding me.”

“Carpe diem, mate.”

Now I knew he was joking, and leaned in as if to whisper to Leigh, even cupping my hand around my mouth, and said, “D’you know how long he kept Matty waiting?”

“How long?”

“A whole bloody year,” Matty complained.

“A year?” Leigh repeated. “What on earth were you waiting for, Noah?”

“For me to sit still.” Matty grinned. He hadn’t actually sat down yet.

* * * * *

Rainbow Snippets is a group for LGBTQ+ authors, readers, and bloggers to gather once a week to share six sentences from a work of fiction–a WIP or a finished work or even a 6-sentence book recommendation (no spoilers please!).

In this group you'll find anything from romance and historical fiction to mystery and YA. The common thread is that every story's main character identifies as LGBTQ+. The snippets could range from zero flames to full-on sexytimes, anything goes content-wise. The only rule is snippets will be 6 sentences long–one for each color in the Pride flag.

* * * * *

Thanks for reading,
Deb x

Comments

  1. Ha! Yeah, Noah probably shouldn't talk. I love Matty's last line, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to be getting on quite well now. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! Matty's a hoot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd steal this story if I let him. :D

      Delete
  3. Fun snippet. Their friendship shines through in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PT. They're fun people to write about. :)

      Delete
  4. So funny. These guys are such a great crowd. Clearly good friends and all so funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nephy. I'm pleased the humour comes through. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:47 am

    For me to sit still, love that line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Matty's last line!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT Pride: A Roundtable Discussion

Fat Rage!

No Filter - Loaded Banana #RainbowSnippets #LGBTQIA